If you just had new granite countertops put in your Hastings home, then you might be wondering what you can do to keep them looking great. Here are a few tips on how to keep them looking their best for years to come.
- While granite countertops are stain resistant, you should still make it a habit to wipe up spills as soon as possible after they happen. Liquids like water probably won’t stain, but dark liquids like red wine and coffee might end up staining your counters if you let them sit on the surface for too long. All you need to clean up the spills is a soft and dry white cloth and some water.
- For everyday cleaning, you just need water and a soft and dry white cloth. Make sure you dry off the countertop surface after wiping them down with water. You don’t need to buy any special granite countertop cleaner if you don’t want to.
- You do not need to worry about disinfecting your granite countertops. Granite is naturally non-porous so they will not harbor bacteria and germs.
- Make sure you use coasters for glasses and mugs and use trivets or hot pads for hot dishes and sauce pans. This is a precautionary measure to ensure your granite countertops do not inadvertently end up damaged.
- Use cutting boards any time you need to cut vegetables, fruits and other foods. Cutting your food on your granite countertops will not damage your counters but it will damage your knives!
- Avoid generic household cleaners like ammonia, bleach or anything that is acidic. These types of cleaners can dull the finish of your granite countertops and cause other problems and blemishes.
- Don’t allow anyone to sit or stand on your granite countertops, and don’t allow anyone to paint, glue or do crafts on them, even if you cover them with newspapers first. Even with protection on top of them, paint and glue can harm your counters and destroy the finish.
These are just a few suggestions on how to care for your new granite countertops. When we install your new counters, we can tell you even more about how to care for them. With the proper care and maintenance, your granite counters could last a lifetime!
If you would like more information on granite countertops in Hastings, call Imperial Counters at 651-437-3903, or you can contact us and get a Free Estimate Online.